Saturday, January 10, 2009

It Is What It Is

I settled on the title of my blog after considering several other more "cutsie" names... Annie's Anecdotes was a serious contender. I didn't care much for that title but was at a loss for anything better when I started thinking about my daughter, Katie, and how often my conversations with her have included that catch-all phrase "it is what it is." It's an all-encompassing phrase that says so much in five small words.

I usually say it when something negative has happened and Katie is upset. When I say those words what I'm really saying is that the given circumstances exist and she has to face up to them head on. I don't believe in hiding one's head in the sand hoping for a change to occur; I think it's important to do what you can to make a change for the better and then learn to accept the status quo with good grace because well, it is what it is. Katie, I might add, fully embraces the phrase and does a very good job of keeping her head out of the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment